Benin’s Government Action Plan 2016-2021 highlights coastal and nature-based tourism as potential growth areas. Whale and dolphin-watching operations can help achieve these targets, with activities already underway in the marine protected area Bouche du Roy of the Mono Biosphere Reserve MAB UNESCO leaded by Eco-Benin NGO in collaboration with municipalities of Grand-Popo and Comé in South West of Benin.
- Raising awarness among local fishermen ;
- Promoting whale and dolphin-watching as coastal ecotourism action ;
- Improving fishing practices, marine biodiversity monitoring and surveillance ;
- Advocating for real protection of marine biodiversity ;
- Supporting the establishment of the South Atlantic Whale Sanctuary.